Monday, August 8, 2011

Deep Fried Tofu - Recipe

With the end of my package of tofu in the fridge, and having had enough stir-fry, I decided to do something with it  before it met its demise. Something easy that I could use as an appetizer before dinner. This past week I've had memory flashes of one of my favourite cheap eateries in Victoria,, BC, Fujiya. Every opportunity I could get I would go there and enjoy the 3 dollar California rolls and 1.5 tofu blocks in a little amber sauce, which made me think, why not recreate one of my favourite dishes.Deep fried tofu is simple and requires limited ingredients.. All you really need is tofu (medium firmness), cornstarch and oil! I like to add a little flavour by adding a soy/vinegar blended sauce, but I would recommend an amber sauce more similar to the authentic Fujiya, if available. The result will be a crunchy outside and soft inside delight. Anyways, enough talking, more cooking.. Here you go!

Ingredients (per serving):

1/4 block medium firmness tofu
1/6 cup cornstarch (or flour if cornstarch unavailable)
Vegetable oil for frying

Sauce:
2 tablespoon soy
1 1/2 tablespoon vinegar

Amber Sauce
1/8 cup dashi stock
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon mirin

Steps:
1) Cut tofu to desired size and place on paper towel. Let sit for 15-20 and dab to remove liquids.
2) Put oil in pan/deep frying and heat to 170degrees C.
3) Roll in cornstarch until completely covered and place in deepfryer until tofu is a light brown. Remove and place on paper towel to remove excess oil
4) If making amber sauce, add sauce ingredients to pot and bring to a boil.
5) If making soy/vinegar sauce, add ingredients and set aside.
6) Arrange tofu on plate and pour sauce over.

And that's a simple deep fried tofu everyone!

Happy Living!

No comments:

Post a Comment